Saturday, April 7, 2012

April 10, 1958--A RED-LETTER DAY



April 10, 1958...this is the day the LORD brought me safely out from my mother's womb. I was born at home somewhere in Pasay, assisted by a low-cost Hilot--a traditional birth attendant, due to economic reason. My mother named me after Ms. Elvira Manahan, the late socialite anchor and famous TV talk show host of "Two for the Road" in the 60's and 80's.

I'm the youngest of four children and was raised in a single parent home--had been trapped in such situation, I can say that it was never easy; and even my mother who is now with the Lord would agree with me that it really was a hard life for all of us, not to mention with a limited way of earning money.

But since we were raised to tough it out, I should say that getting through every hardships and trials that life offers us is something to keep us going and maintain a positive attitude in life--I considered it a great life challenge. At 17, I had my first job and my quest for a better life has begun.

Although, my mother had failed to give us a comfortable life nor had given us complete education from elementary to college due to limited funds; still, we salute her for she had tried her very best to be a mother and a father to us all at the same time. We also admired her for the values she had instilled in our heart and mind that have made us better persons--God fearing persons; those values will remain with us all our life and passed down from generation to generation.



No comments:

Post a Comment